Our History

The original congregation gathered in 1838 near the shipyard and the sea. The logo is a ship in full sail. Our “congregational” history is shaped in part by maritime journeys of a pilgrim people who set sail to cross the Atlantic ocean and establish a community of faith in the new world wilderness. These Pilgrim and Puritan ancestors in the faith who braved the stormy seas of the Atlantic brought with them ideas and convictions about freedom and equality, which later shaped the American Patriot Spirit.

Essential to life in the “Congregational Way” was the conviction that the Holy Scriptures should be available to everyone, not just clergy. The ability to read was, of course, essential. Schools, libraries and universities were established. Religion was a matter of both head and heart. Those old reformers believed that education :liberated the human spirit” A passion for education is a hallmark of our faith tradition. QPCC belongs to the United Church of Christ, whose motto comes from the Gospel of John: “That they may all be one.”

In 1948, the congregation took a risk of faith and voted to build a church for the future. ( click here for You tube video of moving of church) This pilgrimage involved moving the entire building 1/2 mile to 444 Washington Street. We gather in the sanctuary each Sunday to worship God with a sense of blessing, for the words of the Beatitudes are inscribed in the original stained glass windows. Stained glass saints, prophets and apostles also surround us. Among them are St. Andrew, the “Fisherman saint”, and Francis, who teaches us to respect and care for God’s creation. We celebrate the global church family here at the Quincy Point Congregational Church. People who have come the farthest include those from China, Sierra Leone, Scotland, the Philippines and India.